MollysPoker.com
Gambling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Molly's Poker Home Page

Need help with my poker game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kings_fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Need help with my poker game Reply with quote

I've been playing texas holdem poker at poker stars for a while now at the lowest limit tables. (limit, not no limit, which scares me ) I'm a beginner and I can't seem to come up with a winning strategy. I'm enjoy poker, but I lose many more hands that I win. I guess I need to know the fundemental steps to take to turn my losing strategy into a winning one. Thanks in advance!!!!
mike
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not provide some key details, like what you strategy is or what limits you play. You are probably playing too loose. Try tightening up your play.

Only call preflop if you have good hole cards (AA down to AT, KK down to KJ or so, QQ down to QJ or so, JJ-88. You can adjust slightly downword if you are in late position or your cards are suited.) Fold otherwise.

You need a good hand after the flop to bet/call. Don't bet or call on the flop if you need two more cards to make your hand, e.g you have 3 cards to a straight or a flush. In other words, did the flop help or hurt. If it did not help you hand then it probably helped your opponents, which means it hurt your hand. Know how to fold. Learn about pot odds. If the odds don't justify the call then fold. Don't be afraid to fold a good hand. If you have JJ and the flop is AK2 and someone is showing strenght then you probably are dominated by a pair of aces or kings or both.

As a beginner always muck uncalled/losers. Click the button to do this automatically.

Try to recognize your opponents weaknesses.

Play at the lowest limits possible until you start winning.

These are just a few quick ideas. There's more too it than that. I suggest you visit our help section and read the poker strategy articles and go through the poker tutor

http://mollyspoker.com/resources/help.html

Also, read a good book. You really need to learn about outs and odds. We have a list of good books here:

http://mollyspoker.com/merch/poker_books.html

Good luck and let us know how you progress
kings_fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx!

My initial problem may be that i'm looking for too many draws. I've been playing the 50 cent - $1 tables and i guess i'm playing too many flops, figuring it only cost 50 cents to see 3 more cards. Also the idea of folding when i might get lucky on the next card(s) does not sit will with me as it seems i almost always have a chance for something. Crying or Very sad

Let me see if your ideas help
kings_fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about a month and things have improved. I have ups and downs and am now basically breaking even.. well i'm up a few $$ since my last reload, but not much. I've been playing more or less tight now, but one has to have patience for that... I'm not going to give up, but with march madness and all i'm going to get back to my real passion of sports betting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MollysPoker.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: