MollysPoker.com
Gambling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Molly's Poker Home Page

Hand of the Week XI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBUSA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Hand of the Week XI Reply with quote

Today’s hand of the week comes from a real hand that occurred between myself and another player in a Limit game. I know, I know, I never write about limit hands and strategy. But it doesn’t mean I don’t play it. I think all poker players should diversify the games they play just to change things up and give themselves more opportunities to play this great game. You heard it here first, I will be making a more concerted effort to focus more on Limit Hold Em from now on in addition to No Limit.

I was sitting at a $15/$30 limit game that was 8 handed as one player had just busted out and was likely re-loading his account. In any case, there were 8 people at the table with the blinds at $15. For those of you unfamiliar with Limit Hold em, the principles are the same as No Limit except that the betting structure caps bets at 3 raises per betting round. I will devote a future article to Limit strategy so please bear with me for now.

So here’s how this hand went down. I was sitting in the big blind with 9d-Qd. Pre-flop, there were 4 other callers in addition to myself and the small blind. At these limits, I love to see a cheap flop. Nothing beats that, and as you’ll see, I was sure glad I did. The flop comes down as Td, 8d, Jd! Wow! I flopped a straight flush. Cha-ching! I’m getting paid. I check not wanting to scare anyone off. One player bets. I sense he may be bluffing so with this monster holding, I don’t want him to fold so I just call.

The Turn card is Kh. This time, I don’t want this player to check behind me so I bet out for $30 and he not only calls, he raises!! I can’t believe my good fortune. I raise him another $60 and he calls. This is working out betting than I thought because there is nothing we could have that can beat me. It’s only too bad that everyone else folded as well. I’d love to go up against a full house or an Ace High flush in this spot.

The river comes down and is the Ks. Instantly I think to myself, “I really hope this guy made a full house because he is in for one rude awakening. There’s no way he can put me on a straight flush. I bet $30, he raise me to $60, I re-raise him another $60, and he re-raises again for another $60 which I easily call. At this point, there’s no doubt in my mind he has a full house because if he was afraid of a full house himself, he would have just likely called in this spot.

Sure enough, when the cards are flipped over, he shows a Jack and a King, giving him a full house, normally a huge hand but not nearly enough to beat me. I take the $532 pot and just laugh to myself. What a great day, What a great hand. I play a couple more hands and sign off as I know that my day isn’t likely to get any better. This goes to show that another important concept a poker player needs to master if he/she wants to truly be successful is the ability to know when t just walk away.

What do you think of this hand? Send any comments to [email protected] .

Until next time, may the chips fall your way.

(For more poker strategy and tips, please visit the PokerStrategyKing’s website at www.pokerstrategyking.com )
cardcounter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In any case, there were 8 people at the table with the blinds at $15.
[...]

So here’s how this hand went down. I was sitting in the big blind with 9d-Qd. Pre-flop, there were 4 other callers in addition to myself and the small blind. At these limits, I love to see a cheap flop.

Cheap? I guess it is relative. Cheap for me is a $0.15 flop. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MollysPoker.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: